Data Exfiltration is also known as Data Extrusion – It is the illegal or unauthorized transfer of data from a computer. Such transfer of data of computer can be carried out by manually by someone those who can have physical access to your PC or it can be carried out by some malicious program used by thieves and cyber criminal & hacker over a network.
In this useful security blog we will discuss about more complicated electronic means of data exfiltration tips and methods used by cyber hackers or thieves. These bad thieves are actually very intelligent and smart with lots of people having enough time in their hand and also a member or several communities who share their rocket-science idea and complicated tools and service over the internet. It sounds threatening, but we do not mean to scare you. The aim of this blog is to help understand you that common securities are not enough to stop data exfiltration.
Cyber Thieves are like Wearing a Mask
More and more thieves are becoming skillful at stealing data in several different ways to block security hinders from detecting it as it disable them. Having control over the data before transfer is greatly beneficial. Through this technique they avoid the detection or increases the detection time and in between they can easily transfer the data on their server before they get caught.
In a survey of security it is shown that almost 522 security users have really experienced the data breach. Out of which 32% of data was transferred with the help of encryption technique, 22% by compression method and 15% each by obfuscation and chunking methods. Here have a look how it works:
- Encryption: Security expert think that encryption is the best way to protect data, similarly the cyber thieves thinks too. They implement different tips and techniques to encrypt the data that they steal or gather and modify them into binary characters that becomes unreadable. After that they hide those files into several file formats like video or photo file.
- Compression: It means the reduction in file size but still holds the complete information. Cyber thieves mainly use this technique to quickly transfer the data.
- Obfuscation: This technique is older and common – it camouflages the original file and converts the characters into hex code so that it can easily avoid detection.
- Chunking: It is the technique to divide the data into smaller size which helps in merging data with normal traffic and it is very tough to detect.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- 3 Ways We are Tricked into Cyber Attacks
- How To Stop Spyware From Robbing You
- Cybercriminals turn to video ads to plant malware
- Sneak Attacks Used By Today’s Most Devious Hackers
There are numerous cyber thieves that steal movies shows and upload over internet and temporarily hiding them in their trash. Similarly, it is what in the realm of data exfiltration. The main aim of the thieves is to steal data any how out of your network. Once, they successfully able to pass through data transfer protocols such as Http/Https, DNS, email/SMTP, FTP, etc then they can easily steal your data without your notice. The data can be easily be stolen from compromised computer that is located within your organization, or on system that is hosted in the cloud via providers such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services or on several cloud file-sharing services. Now that you know about data exfiltration and how bad castor uses the techniques, it’s time to know how to avoid or stop it?
Data Exfiltration – Prevention Tips
In order to avoid or stop data exfiltration, administrator must create strict IT controls for both digital and physical security. It will include the use of DLP – data leak prevention to examine and/or block any unauthorized traffic from carrying data beyond the perimeter of the organization and policies for encryption, compression, chunking, obfuscation, password hardening and role based access control (RBAC).